Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Design Shock- Decorating a House with my Wild Child of a Little Sister

Ok I PROMISE I'm not going to be posting daily to this little baby- but it's new and exciting so I'm gonna go ahead and post again :)

For those of you that know me and my little sister, you know that we are polar opposites. I'm tall, pale and blonde (okay, ginger...) and she's a tan little shrimp with dark hair. I'm kind of safe in terms of fashion and jewelry, and that kid is the trendiest person I know. I listen to mainly country and surf-rock music, and that girl can rap every word to songs I've never even heard. Well, the story is no different when it comes to our taste in decor.

 I lived in an apartment by myself for a year after graduating from college. My taste is pretty simple- I love shabby chic, French country and rustic motifs. I find inspiration in thrifty re-purposed items, vintage pieces and feminine accents. Here are some pictures of my first apartment (neutrals galore, I know...).

Sorry about the blurry iPhone pictures... I didn't see blogging in my future when I took them!

Favorite elements in my old place: My Hotel Paris sign my mom found at Warrenton Antiques Week (heaven on earth, btw), my cowhide rug I've had since middle school, and my chunky coffee table that was ugly as sin before I tackled it with some Annie Sloan Old White Chalk Paint.
If you can't tell, I love ruffles. And neutrals. And document/script print. 
This was my guest room. And that's my crazy little shelter dog, Shiner. :)

A year later, Robynne and I moved into a house (3 dogs in an apartment = not happening). I knew that I'd have to funky up my style just a little bit when we moved in together, so we started a Pinterest board together to find a happy medium between my neutral/shabby taste and her trendy/colorful ideas. I think we've found a really good balance so far! What do you think?

I get my rustic table, she gets her pops of color! It's a win win here. 

Robynne LOVES metallics. We bought this shelving at IKEA and took to it with some gold spray paint! 

This table was shabby and GROSS. After some serious cleaning and sanding, we painted it mint and used Martha Stewart Metallic Paint on the legs to create the "dipped" effect!

This ombre dresser is one of my favorite pieces we've done together so far. We actually painted it to sell, but liked it so much we stuck it in our living room! Also, check out other cute prints like our "Hey Y'all!" by Stephanie Creekmur- she has TONS of great stuff!

We've only been here 2 months and we still have a long way to go in our little rent house, but it's certainly coming along and I'm having a blast trying out all of these new trends with Robynne girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment