Thursday, January 2, 2014

The whirlwind that was December ...

November and December are a complete blur in my mind. I think I probably made a trip to every single city in the state of Texas for weddings, birthdays and holiday events over the past two months. My family took a trip to Disneyland (whoo!), there are MAJOR changes happening at work, I turned 24, got a nasty strand of the flu and somehow managed to survive another semester of grad school. And I thought I was busy in college.... ha! 

In the midst of the hectic holiday season, my sister/roomie/P.I.C. and I did manage to add some Christmas cheer to our small little rent house. We repurposed some trinkets we already had, used the few items I purchased last year and bought the rest with Home Depot gift cards we'd been saving up (thanks Mom!). Not to be a Grinch, but fake trees and cute glittery junk is expensive! Christmas would be a lot more fun if everything at Hobby Lobby were free.... I'm just sayin'. Anywho, here are a few pictures:

They may or may not still be up right now... just kidding, they definitely are (and probably will be for at least another week). 

Burlap tree skirt tutorial: http://anwjohnston.blogspot.com/2011/10/diy-no-sew-ruffle-christmas-tree-skirt.html
(be prepared to lose all of your fingerprints when hot gluing those strips of burlap!)
"Merry Christmas" garland: https://www.etsy.com/shop/thegirlsmom
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" chalkboard printable: http://www.dearlillie.com/
"Joy to the World" free chalkboard printable: www.YellowBlissRoad.com
"NOEL" Letters all came from Hob Lob :)
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" chalkboard printable: http://www.dearlillie.com/

I had big plans for that loveleigh Dear Lillie printable, but I printed it the wrong size for the frame and then ran out of time. So that baby got taped to the wall. Next year I'll put it to good use!
(That ugly fake fireplace needs a screen bad, we know)
Ok, I know it's not a "reindeer", but it's chevron and glittery and we love it so we're calling it a reindeer :)

Free Deer Silhouette printablehttp://www.carissamiss.com/2013/03/free-printable-glitter-animal-silhouette.html

Though they are but few, these little touches really made our house feel homey for the holidays. 

I also managed to complete a custom order just in time to deliver it on Christmas Eve! They found this HUGE dining room table (think 6 chairs and TWO leaves) at Round Top and requested a distressed turquoise finish. 


That bad boy took 2 rounds of sanding, two new coats of stain, two coats of turquoise paint, one more round of sanding and 3 coats of sealant! 

(Ask Robynne how she felt about me doing all that sanding in the middle of our kitchen. There were DUNES of sawdust after I swept and everything in the house was completely coated. But, in my defense, I had the flu and it was FREEZING outside. Maybe when I "grow up" I'll have my own workshop with AC and heat.... just maybe.)

Here's the finished product: 

I think the dainty shape of the pieces paired with the rustic finish made for a perfect combination of both country and feminine! What do you think? 

She's not sure what she wants to recover the seats in yet, but I can't wait to see what she chooses! 

I hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas and is excited and positive about what 2014 will bring! I know I am beyond thrilled for a fresh start. Maybe I'll add "post more on the blog" to my continually growing list of resolutions... :) 

God Bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment